Last weekend Austin rode in the Tour de Cure bike ride to raise money for Diabetes. It was supposed to be 60 miles but the week before they added 9 more miles. Austin had only rode his bike about 4 times this year and the longest he had rode was 30 miles. Despite his lack of training he finished! He said it was quite a killer toward the end, but we are so proud of him for doing it and making it to the finish line.
Austin nearing the finish line.
My parents came to do the ride as well. It started and ended in Brigham City.
Austin also rode with our neighbor Cannon. Sporting their pumpkin, ATK jerseys, which is where they work.
After the ride Christian was playing in Grandpa Kevin's truck while we loaded the bikes. Somehow he managed to slip and he fell out of the truck. He landed on his face and shoulder, falling about 4 feet. His glasses cut his face and were very bent, but surprisingly they didn't break (miracle glasses). He has had quite the bruise and black eye and he was quite traumatized, but thankfully nothing serious. He hit the asphalt so hard so we are so grateful that he didn't have a head injury.
Austin's Note: Because I've been busy between homework and yardwork and scoutcamps, I hadn't been on a ride for two weeks. The longest training ride was 30 miles-just 40 short of this particular ride. The first 32 miles were great, but I realized as soon as I got back on my bike after a rest station that my legs had already spent their energy. The last 40 were much slower than the first 30, and I was glad that the final stretch was on a downhill so I didn't collapse at the end. (Note to self: train more next year).
10 comments:
Poor Christian! HIs little face looks like it hurts so bad. I can't believe the glasses didn't break. Way to go Austin for riding so far!! I couldn't do it, and if I did I wouldn't be able to walk for a week.
Austin -
You are the man! Nice job on the race. Christian's injury looks pretty bad. Kayli had something similar when she younger. She stood up in the tub, slipped, and had a nasty bruise. People will give you nasty looks for a while, but you get used to it! :)
Blake
I can't believe Christian wasn't seriously hurt!! What a blessing for you guys:) But I am sure it was horrifying at the time!!! Tell Austin Congrats!! That is awesome.
Poor little boy-I think seeing your child get hurt is more tramatizing for you than for them...good thing you are a nurse! Also congrats Austin on finishing the race!
Go Austin! That is amazing. Your parents did it too? I miss them!! Poor little Christian--what a trooper. P.S. I think you need to send a letter to the place where you got his glasses and see if you can be a spokeswoman!
Austin, that is awesome!
Poor Christian. That looks painful. OUCH!
Darn that gravity! That would have freaked me out so much. Kid's getting hurt is inevitable but still scary.
Austin, I'm impressed you trained so little and was still able to finish with a smile on your face. I don't think I would have been able to fake it even for a second after that long of a ride! Good job.
Yes, let's definately get together sometime. Kevin has scout camp the third week of July, so I was thinking of going to ORem to see my sister. Maybe I can sweing by on my way there? What do you think?
Oh, poor Christian!
Nice job, Austin. Maybe you can get Cannon to train a little more next year too!
Mawin, Rebecca and my mom want to be invited to your blog---how does that work? E-mail me
Jess
Post a Comment